For school sites that are able to test, the ISEE Operations Office is prepared to assist with your continuity in testing. For those who are unable to test due to school or test site closures, we are exploring options for meeting the admissions testing needs of schools and families. We will provide an update on options in the coming couple of weeks.
ISEE: Independent School Entrance Exam
Grade 2 – 12 (available nationally and internationally)
As the premier provider of admission assessments for independent schools, the ISEE is accepted by over 1,200 independent schools around the world. Available in both online and paper modalities and in both open and closed (invitation only) administrations, the ISEE is the most advanced tool available to find your future students.
The ISEE is a standard assessment of skills for each applicant, ranking his or her reasoning and achievement skills among students in the same grade. It enables students to take a single, fair, and reliable test for entrance into top-performing independent schools. The ISEE is used by consortia and member schools throughout the U.S. and internationally. It is the most advanced admission test available for independent schools.
"We love the ISEE and really utilize the information. As well, your staff is always helpful and responsive to our needs."
Independent School, Dallas, TX
Guidelines for the Use of Scores
Schools receive many different pieces of information from students (and families) applying for admission to selective K–12 schools. Many factors used in selection, such as grades, teacher recommendations, and interviews, tend not to be standardized across the entire population of candidates. ISEE scores provide a consistent measure for all candidates. Please take a moment to review our ISEE Guidelines for the Use of Scores in the Admission Process for more information about utilizing ISEE scores as part of your school's admission process.
Parents: Need to register your child for the ISEE?
About the ISEE
- Four levels:
- Primary - entrance to grades 2 - 4; available as an online administration only
- Lower - entrance to grades 5 - 6; available in both online and paper/pencil administrations
- Middle - entrance to grades 7 - 8; available in both online and paper/pencil administrations
- Upper - entrance to grades 9 - 12; available in both online and paper/pencil administrations
- Assessment flexibility: May be administered individually or in group settings
- Online administration: On-demand, available any day, any time for one student or for many students
- Multiple options for administration: Available at ERB member schools, ERB offices, and over 400 Prometric sites in the U.S. and abroad
- Affordable for families: Fee waivers offered to ISEE test site schools for distribution to families in need
- Based on standards of leading educational organizations:
- The National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)
- The International Reading Association (IRA)
- The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
Test Site Locations
Students may take the ISEE at approved ERB member school test sites, Prometric locations worldwide, or at ERB’s New York City office. Quick registration is available online, as well as by mail. The ISEE team works directly with families to answer any questions about registration.
- Prometric sites offer online administration and are available only for students entering grades 5-12.
Become A Test Site
Learn about the benefits of being a test site.